Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a great dish for lunch. I found this recipe in Quick and Easy Japanese Cuisine for Everyone by Yukiko Moriyama.
- 340.19 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 eggs
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 118.29 ml water
- 59.16 ml soy sauce
- 44.37 ml mirin
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 1182.95 ml cooked rice
- cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Cut the chicken breast into thin slices.
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in lukewarm water until soft.
- Cut off hard stems and cut in halves.
- Cut onion into thin slices.
- Chop cilantro.
- In a large skillet with a lid, mix all the simmering sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken, mushrooms and onion and cook over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or until chicken is done and onion is tender.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl, then pour over the chicken and cover with a lid.
- Cook until the egg is set, about 1 minute on low heat.
- Sprinkle cilantro on top.
- To serve: put about 1 1/4 cup of rice in a large, deep bowl and gently lay 1/4 of the chicken and egg mixture on top.
- Pour simmering sauce over and serve immediately.
this is an excellent recipe, I made it for my JApanese class and they all loved it and my Japanese teacher said that it was very authentic
Simple and tasty! Exactly what I was looking for.
Amazing. I've never had Oyako Donburi before (I was a little hesitant about something non-breakfasty with eggs poured on top,) but I'll definitely add it to my regular menu now. I may even make just the sauce sometime--it would be great on stir-fries. Thank you, Hey Jude.