1/3 Photos of Chicken and Dumplings, Southern Style
2 hrs 30 mins
A Southern Classic. Enough said.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1Place chicken in a heavy 5 quart stockpot with water to cover.
- 2Add the onion, carrot, celery, bay, peppercorns, salt, thyme and rosemary.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- 4Skim scum if needed.
- 5Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
- 6Remove meat and return bones to pot.
- 7Simmer for 1 hour more.
- 8Strain well and remove any fat you can.
- 10Combine flour, soda, salt.
- 11Cut in shortening until flour resembles coarse crumbs.
- 12Add the stock, buttermilk and thyme.
- 13Stir to make a stiff dough-and it will be stiff.
- 14Turn out onto a floured board and knead gently 6 times.
- 15Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
- 16Bring strained broth to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- 17Roll out the chilled dough to 1/8 inch thick, and cut into 4x1 inch pieces.
- 18Drop them into simmering stock and stir gently.
- 19Cook for 10 minutes, add the chicken and cook for 5 min more.
- 20Season with salt and lots of pepper.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Dumplings, Southern Style
Serving Size: 1 (531 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 633.5
- Calories from Fat 309
- Total Fat 34.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 128.6 mg
- Sodium 980.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 37.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: