A Southern Classic. Enough said.
Make and share this Chicken and Dumplings, Southern Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, quartered
- 1 stalk celery, quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Place chicken in a heavy 5 quart stockpot with water to cover.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, bay, peppercorns, salt, thyme and rosemary.
- Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim scum if needed.
- Remove chicken and set aside to cool.
- Remove meat and return bones to pot.
- Simmer for 1 hour more.
- Strain well and remove any fat you can.
- Combine flour, soda, salt.
- Cut in shortening until flour resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add the stock, buttermilk and thyme.
- Stir to make a stiff dough-and it will be stiff.
- Turn out onto a floured board and knead gently 6 times.
- Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour.
- Bring strained broth to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Roll out the chilled dough to 1/8 inch thick, and cut into 4x1 inch pieces.
- Drop them into simmering stock and stir gently.
- Cook for 10 minutes, add the chicken and cook for 5 min more.
- Season with salt and lots of pepper.
Great recipe! Very easy to make. Next time I will cut the dumplings smaller. They took longer than suggested to cook and were a little chewy, rather than tender.
see my posted comments, it's a meal in itself, this is my favorite childhood recipe that I finally rediscovered. The combined prep and cooking time is more like 3.5-4 hours depending how attentive you are to it. It's a great pot of soup to make on the woodstove and make the house smell so good. It's definitely worth the time to make! Thanks again, Di!
Wonderful southern chicken and dumplings, My partners daughter took two big tubs out of town with her today as well as inhaling it yesterday. Loved by all