Prep 35 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is absolutely the best chicken and dumplings recipe!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetables, steamed (your choice)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Steam vegetables until just tender. Set aside.
- My favorite vegetable combinations are broccoli, cauliflower and carrots or potatoes, corn, and carrots.
- Melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for approximately 8 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add broth and milk. Stir until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. It will become a nice creamy sauce!
- Stir in vegetables and shredded chicken.
- Pour filling into a 9 inch square casserole pan.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening with pastry knife until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Lightly mix in milk until forms a soft dough.
- Drop by tablespoons onto filling.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.
Wonderful dish that's great for a chilly Midwestern night!! I did add some salt and pepper for taste, used lactose free milk instead of regular and omitted the cheese (for the lactose intolerant in my house) but was still a great dish.
I made only the dumplings for "Better Than Chicken and Dumplings" on this site. They were light and fluffy, and didn't get soggy at all. We loved them! Thank you for posting!