Recipe by good2bdunn
This is absolutely the best chicken and dumplings recipe!
Top Review by menovak526
Wonderful dish that's great for a chilly Midwestern night!! I did add some salt and pepper for taste, used lactose free milk instead of regular and omitted the cheese (for the lactose intolerant in my house) but was still a great dish.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, fresh grated
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetables, steamed (your choice)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Steam vegetables until just tender. Set aside.
- My favorite vegetable combinations are broccoli, cauliflower and carrots or potatoes, corn, and carrots.
- Melt butter in large frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and saute for approximately 8 minutes.
- Stir in flour and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add broth and milk. Stir until sauce has thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. It will become a nice creamy sauce!
- Stir in vegetables and shredded chicken.
- Pour filling into a 9 inch square casserole pan.
- Mix together dry ingredients.
- Cut in shortening with pastry knife until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Lightly mix in milk until forms a soft dough.
- Drop by tablespoons onto filling.
- Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.