Recipe by emeraldsitty
This recipe has been a family staple for years. No biscuit mix or dough balls here! There are a large # of steps listed- don't let that scare you!! I tried to be very specific so that even a beginner had their questions answered.
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup broth
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Place whole chicken in large pot and cover with water. Boil approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hrs or until cooked through.
- Once chicken is cooked through remove chicken and place on large platter to cool. Leave remaining broth in pot on a low simmer.
- While chicken is cooling prepare dumplings.
- To Prepare Dumplings:.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix together well.
- In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of broth and 1 tbsp shortening and let melt together and cool.
- Take egg and whisk before adding to cooled broth mixture.
- Once egg is added to broth stir again to ensure it's well combined.
- In center of bowl with dry ingredients make a well. Then add wet ingredients to this well.
- Mix dough together until it starts to pull away from sides of bowl.
- Flour the working surface and divide dough into 2 balls. This will make it easier to knead and roll out.
- Once divided knead the dough until it becomes firm in texture. Should be approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into strips using a pizza cutter.
- Once you have strips cut return them to the simmering pot. Repeat this process with the second ball of dough.
- Once all dumplings are in the pot bring it up to a low rolling boil.
- Now, while dumplings are cooking remove chicken meat from bone. It should be shredded into small pieces to mix in with dumplings.
- Once chicken is shredded at it back into dumplings and continue to cook for approximately 5 more minutes or until dumplings have "doneness" you prefer.