1 hr 10 mins
This recipe has been a family staple for years. No biscuit mix or dough balls here! There are a large # of steps listed- don't let that scare you!! I tried to be very specific so that even a beginner had their questions answered.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Place whole chicken in large pot and cover with water. Boil approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hrs or until cooked through.
- 2Once chicken is cooked through remove chicken and place on large platter to cool. Leave remaining broth in pot on a low simmer.
- 3While chicken is cooling prepare dumplings.
- 4To Prepare Dumplings:.
- 5Add all dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix together well.
- 6In a separate bowl, add 1 cup of broth and 1 tbsp shortening and let melt together and cool.
- 7Take egg and whisk before adding to cooled broth mixture.
- 8Once egg is added to broth stir again to ensure it's well combined.
- 9In center of bowl with dry ingredients make a well. Then add wet ingredients to this well.
- 10Mix dough together until it starts to pull away from sides of bowl.
- 11Flour the working surface and divide dough into 2 balls. This will make it easier to knead and roll out.
- 12Once divided knead the dough until it becomes firm in texture. Should be approximately 1-2 minutes.
- 13Roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and cut into strips using a pizza cutter.
- 14Once you have strips cut return them to the simmering pot. Repeat this process with the second ball of dough.
- 15Once all dumplings are in the pot bring it up to a low rolling boil.
- 16Now, while dumplings are cooking remove chicken meat from bone. It should be shredded into small pieces to mix in with dumplings.
- 17Once chicken is shredded at it back into dumplings and continue to cook for approximately 5 more minutes or until dumplings have "doneness" you prefer.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Dumplings Old Style
Serving Size: 1 (216 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 830.5
- Calories from Fat 360
- Total Fat 40.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 225.5 mg
- Sodium 565.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 52.7 g