1/5 Photos of Chicken and Dumplings Like Cracker Barrel's
This tastes just like Cracker Barrel's, if you have ever tried it. From book "Old Fashioned Country Cooking" found at Cracker Barrel.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 -6 lb) frying chickens (any whole chicken will do)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (I use coarse ground and double it)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening (I use Crisco sticks)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (I add 1 tbsp. vinegar to 1 cup milk let sit 5 minutes, then measure 3/4 cup)
- 1Place chicken in a Dutch oven. Add water and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil.
- 2Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until tender (should almost fall off bone).
- 3Remove the chicken from the broth and cool. Bone the chicken and cut meat into bite-sized pieces.
- 4Bring the broth to a boil and add pepper.
- 5Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the shortening. Add the buttermilk, stirring with a fork until moistened.
- 6Knead the dough 4 to 5 times (never done), and pat to 1/2-inch pieces and drop into boiling broth (I do not pat it out, just pinch off pieces). Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 7Stir in the chicken and serve. I make it in the pressure cooker, much quicker and easier.
- 8I pressure it for only 30 minutes.
- 9It can also be done in the crockpot with 3-4 cups water but someone has that book so at this time I cannot give cooking times.
- 10Good Luck! Hope you enjoy.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Dumplings Like Cracker Barrel's
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 710.5
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 11.6 g
- Cholesterol 172.0 mg
- Sodium 1275.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 47.6 g