Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
When I grew up and heard "chicken and dumplings" for dinner I knew that essentially meant chicken with biscuits and gravy. Though it was good, I couldn't imagine feeding something so unhealthy to my family. I had to change it. This is a great recipe I found somewhere online that I edited quite a bit. The finished product was outstanding. My little one will rarely eat anything new and he actually licked the broth from the bowl.
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter substitute
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb white button mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup butter substitute
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 egg, lightly beaten
- Boil the chicken in 4 cups of water until cooked through. Remove from heat, reserve the broth for the soup. Chop or shred the chicken to your desired preference.
- In large soup pot, heat 1 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, cook until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a slight boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- In small sauce pot, combine milk, butter, nutmeg, and salt. Bring to a boil and remove from heat immediately.
- Slowly stir in flour until it batter begins to pull away from sides. Add eggs very slowly, mixing well.
- Add 1/3 spoon sized dumplings to soup. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
The flavor of this is absolutely outstanding. It's lighter and healthier, but you won't feel like you're eating diet food. I did have some trouble with the dumplings. I followed the directions exactly, but it was almost as if they wouldn't fully cook, although I let them boil away for over 20 minutes....very mushy. That probably has a lot more to do with my dumpling expertise than the recipe. I'm going to try it again, and if I can get the dumplings right, this will be a five-star for us. Thanks so much for posting!