Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is one of the best recipes for chicken and dumplings that I have ever come across - the dumplings are fantastic!! and the stew is simply delicious
FOR THE STEW
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 3 quarts water
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
FOR THE DUMPLINGS
- 3⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- FOR THE STEW: Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken with cold water, and place chicken in an 8-quart stockpot. Add 3 quarts water and next 8 ingredients (through bay leaves); bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes; skim surface occasionally, discarding solids.
- Remove chicken from pot; cool. Strain stock through a sieve into a large and discard solids. Remove chicken meat from bones; tear chicken meat into 2-inch pieces, and store in refrigerator. Let stock cool to room temperature.
- Pour stock into zip lock bags. Let stand 15 minutes. Working with one bag at a time, snip off a corner of bag; drain liquid into stockpot stopping before fat layer reaches opening. Discard fat Repeat procedure with remaining bag.
- Bring stock to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to about 8 cups (about 15 minutes).
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Lightly spoon 1/4 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Add flour to pan; cook 1 minute or until lightly browned, stirring constantly.
- Combine browned flour and cornstarch in a large bowl; add 2/3 cup of the stock to flour mixture, stirring with a whisk until smooth. Add flour mixture to remaining stock in pan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cream. Add chicken; keep warm over low heat.
- FOR THE DUMPLINGS: Combine milk and egg in a medium bowl Lightly spoon 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour into dry measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine the flour, baking powder, cornmeal and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Add flour mixture to milk mixture, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. Drop one-third of dumpling batter by 8 heaping teaspoonfuls onto chicken mixture. Cover and cook for 3 minutes or until the dumplings are done (do not allow chicken mixture to boil) Remove dumpling with a slotted spoon; place in a large serving bowl or on a deep serving platter; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining dumpling batter.
- Remove pan from heat; slowly pour stew over dumplings, Sprinkle with chopped parsley and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.