1/3 Photos of Chicken and Dumplings for Two
I think I saw this in Cooking Light - the library's copier was broken, so I scribbled down the ingredients and directions on a slip of paper. I don't usually have celery, so used green beans and added a teaspoonful or so of dry celery leaves for flavor. I've also made it with leftover chicken, added mushrooms, used fresh herbs or different herbs, and made other changes on the fly. I love that it makes a small quantity for those of us with small households. Update: I recently served this over hot cooked noodles, and that was another nice way to have this dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 cup celery, sliced 1/4 in. thick
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced 1/4 in. thinck
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/4 ounces flour, about 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1Heat a saucepan, spray with cooking spray, add the chicken and cook it for 4 minutes, browning well on all sides. Remove and keep warm.
- 2Add the next six ingredients (celery through bay leaf) to the pan and saute until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- 3Return the chicken to the pan, cook 1 minute, then add the broth , bring it to a boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- 4A few minutes before the 30 minutes are up, stir together the flour, baking powder, parsley and salt. Add the milk, stirring just until everything is moist.
- 5Spoon the dough by heaping teaspoonfulls into the saucepan. Cover and simmer 10 more minutes, or until the dumplings are done.
- 6Discard the parsley sprigs and serve.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Dumplings for Two
Serving Size: 1 (652 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.5
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 96.3 mg
- Sodium 612.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 35.0 g