1/10 Photos of Chicken and Dumplings
2 hrs 30 mins
Dawn Vezina's Note:
My mom made a similar recipe for this comforting dish, and I still remember the wonderful aroma of chicken and dumplings cooking throughout the house. She didn't make it often, but when she did, what a treat. I especially loved the light, tender dumplings, which is still my most favorite part of this dish. (In a pinch, Bisquick dumplings are also very good). For those of you, like my good friend Cindy, who like a more Southern style of dumpling (heavier, chewier), the recipe is at the bottom. This recipe is from Steph's Country Kitchen Goodness. This is my favorite website for recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large broiler-fryer chicken, cut up
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1Combine chicken, celery, carrots, onion, chicken broth, parsley, chicken bouillon granules, salt and pepper in a large pan or dutch oven; add enough water to cover chicken.
- 2Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours or until chicken is done.
- 3Remove chicken and let stand until cool enough to handle.
- 4Remove skin from chicken and tear meat away from bones.
- 5Return meat to soup; discard skin and bones.
- 6Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- 7Return soup to a simmer.
- 8In a mixing bowl, combine dumpling ingredients and mix well to form a stiff dough.
- 9Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup.
- 10Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 11Serve immediately.
- 12Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
- 13*SOUTHERN STYLE DUMPLINGS (heavier and chewier) 2 cups flour, 1 cup chicken broth, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 beaten eggs. Combine flour, broth, baking powder and eggs; mix well to form a stiff batter. Drop by tablespoonfuls into simmering soup. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (387 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 936.4
- Calories from Fat 464
- Total Fat 51.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 179.0 mg
- Sodium 2641.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 54.3 g