Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 25 mins
Make and share this Chicken and Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- Place chickens in large saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until chickens are tender.
- Remove chickens from pan and set aside. Remove backbones.
- Add chopped carrot, celery and onion and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add chicken stock base and remove from heat. Strain and reserve stock.
- Melt butter and stir in 1 cup flour until smooth.
- Add to straine reserved chicken stock.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Add sherry and lemon juice, salt to taste and, if desired, food color.
- For dumplings, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt in mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Stir in milk until just blended.
- Place about 1/2 inch water in saucepan with wire rack that comes 2 to 3 inches above water line. Cover rack with lightly oiled waxed paper, oiled side up.
- With water gently simmering, drop dumplings by tablespoon onto waxed paper, leaving room in between for expansion.
- Steam 8 minutes, uncovered, then cover and steam 7 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, remove skin from cooked chicken and bone, if desired.
- Cut in large pieces.
- Place chicken pieces in casserole. Arrange dumplings on chicken.
- Cover with sauce and sprinkle with peas for color.
I had just dressed out an old rooster and thought that it would be tough as shoe leather but, not so! This sauce was so tasty and we liked the idea of thickening the sauce. Had so much that I have another meal of it frozen. We loved the steamed dumplings as mine usually are soggy when I drop them in the liquid to cook. These were light and nice and soft but I will need to add a bit more salt for our taste. I found the flour and butter a little difficult to incorporate in the liquid; it tended to lump. Next time I will add a little liquid to it before putting it into the pot. But we will definitely have this meal again!
I loved this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing, have saved it! Regards.