Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is a great recipe for chicken and dumplings using whole pieces of chicken rather than just a stew. It can be served on plates for a great meal.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 -6 pieces chicken (thighs and drums)
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons chopped celery leaves
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt (unless using bouillon and water)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 carrots, cut in 4 inch lengths then quartered
- 2 cups peas (or a mix of both) or 2 cups corn (or a mix of both)
- dumplings (Nan's Dumplings)
- Heat butter in skillet, brown chicken on all sides.
- Remove chicken and place in 9x13 in pan or rotating pan.
- Add onion, celery, celery leaves, garlic and carrots to fat in pan and sauté for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove carrots and place around chicken.
- Mix chicken broth with spices.
- Whisk flour into veggies and gradually whisk in broth stirring constantly until boiling.
- Add peas and or corn and pour over chicken Cook covered at 350° for 40 minutes.
- Top with 1/2 batch of Nan's Dumplings recipe #31796 dropping by tablespoons on top of chicken and broth. Cook 10 minutes covered at 425° then uncover and cook 10 minutes more.
Let me start by saying I make a mean pan c&d myself, but i just threw out my recipe & made this my new & only recipe! I followed the recipe expect for 2 things, I dredged my chicken(thighs& legs) in season flour before browning and used an extra clove of garlic. My husband took two bites and started moaning with delight.I asked if you deserved 5 stars and he said 100 stars! Plus 20 min. after he ate this his blood pressure went from 138/88 to 114/70. I also made Nan's dumplings- also sensational. Thank you for posting this. Vicki
This was delish! I made it with Nan's Dumplings as suggested and the only thing I would change next time would be more garlic and more cheese in the dumplings. Definitely the best chicken and dumplings recipe I've had so far ;-)
One of the best I have ever had! Outstanding! I ended up using chicken breast and Bisquick for the dumplings - and it all turned out so great! I will make this again and again! Made for Zaar Cookbooks Tag.