Recipe by redsparklies
Pressure cooker recipe for Chicken and Dumplings. Very easy to modify to stove top cooking. This has become a family favorite, and is requested over Grandma's Pennsylvania Dutch recipe (shhhh).
Top Review by Tim
Overall, the flavor is good. We thought there was a bit too much thyme, but other than that it was tasty. I was concerned the dumplings wouldn't hold together in the pressure cooker, but they did fine. The unfortunate aspect of the dumplings is that they were very heavy and dense. Since the dumpling recipe itself is similar to most, I can only assume this is a product of the pressure cooker. The upside is that cooking under pressure does a nice job of infusing flavors through the dumplings and chicken. Well give it one more try with a different dumpling mix and less thyme. Then again, maybe I just had too much thyme on my hands!!!
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, on bone
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced (add tops for extra flavor)
- 3⁄4 cup water (or Chicken Stock)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 3 sprigs fresh)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chives, snipped into bits (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 8 ingredients (chicken, vegetables, water, herbs, salt & pepper) into pressure cooker.
- Cover, lock, and cook on LOW PRESSURE for 15 minutes.
- (Begin over high heat, then reduce heat to stabilize pressure if using stove top cooker).
- After 15 minutes, lower pressure with quick release method.
- Remove chicken and cover to keep warm.
- Combine DUMPLING INGREDIENTS as follows:.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt and baking powder in large bowl.
- Whisk until frothy.
- Whisk in 1 cup of flour.
- Stir in remaining flour (do not whisk, stir with spoon).
- Bring liquid in pressure cooker to a boil.
- Drop tablespoon sized dumplings (could be a little larger if you like) into boiling broth.
- Cover, lock, and bring to HIGH PRESSURE over high heat.
- Lower heat to stabilize, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Shred Chicken off bone as dumplings cook.
- After 5-7 minutes, lower pressure with quick release method.
- Add shredded chicken back into dumpling pot, or serve directly into bowls and spoon broth and dumplings over it.