Recipe by redsparklies
Pressure cooker recipe for Chicken and Dumplings. Very easy to modify to stove top cooking. This has become a family favorite, and is requested over Grandma's Pennsylvania Dutch recipe (shhhh).
Top Review by KatyMomma
Since I don't have a pressure cooker, I had to improvise and just cook stove top in a dutch oven. But this is the recipe I was looking for. The dumplins are wonerful, the chicken is moist, and it has a wonderful chicken flavor to it. Growing up the recipe we were given was a milky, tasteless soup with chicken and biscuits from a can. I love this homemade from scratch recipe with rich flavors and honest to goodness dumplins. Thank you for posting!
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breasts, on bone
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced (add tops for extra flavor)
- 3⁄4 cup water (or Chicken Stock)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 3 sprigs fresh)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 2⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chives, snipped into bits (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first 8 ingredients (chicken, vegetables, water, herbs, salt & pepper) into pressure cooker.
- Cover, lock, and cook on LOW PRESSURE for 15 minutes.
- (Begin over high heat, then reduce heat to stabilize pressure if using stove top cooker).
- After 15 minutes, lower pressure with quick release method.
- Remove chicken and cover to keep warm.
- Combine DUMPLING INGREDIENTS as follows:.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt and baking powder in large bowl.
- Whisk until frothy.
- Whisk in 1 cup of flour.
- Stir in remaining flour (do not whisk, stir with spoon).
- Bring liquid in pressure cooker to a boil.
- Drop tablespoon sized dumplings (could be a little larger if you like) into boiling broth.
- Cover, lock, and bring to HIGH PRESSURE over high heat.
- Lower heat to stabilize, and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Shred Chicken off bone as dumplings cook.
- After 5-7 minutes, lower pressure with quick release method.
- Add shredded chicken back into dumpling pot, or serve directly into bowls and spoon broth and dumplings over it.