1/1 Photo of Chicken and Dumplings
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 10 mins
This is my all time favorite version of Chicken and Dumplings. Twenty years ago, my aunt gave me a casserole cookbook by Sunset and I found and fell in love with this recipe. Somewhere in my travels I lost the book and have been on a search for the recipe ever since. Well here it is (thanks to ebay!) and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. It is fairly thick, like a chicken stew- and the vegetables are replaced with white wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 lbs chicken thighs or 3 lbs chicken legs with thigh
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heat-resistent casserole over medium heat, melt butter. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and cook until well browned on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- 2To pan drippings, add onion and cook until soft. Blend in flour and cook, stirring, until bubbly. Gradually pour in broth and wine and continue cooking and stirring until sauce boils and thickens. Add salt, pepper, milk, and chicken.
- 3Bake, covered, in a 375 degree oven (or cover and simmer over low heat)for 50 minutes. Skim off and discard fat.
- 4Dumplings: Mix 2 cups baking mix with 1 tablespoon poppy seeds (if using); stir in 2/3 cup milk until evenly moistened.
- 5Drop onto hot chicken in 6 mounds. Cook uncovered, on stovetop over medium heat for 10 minutes; then cover and cook for 10 more minutes or until dumplings are cooked through. Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 838.7
- Calories from Fat 476
- Total Fat 52.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 227.3 mg
- Sodium 1198.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 48.2 g