Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from my sister-in-law, a great cook, in Corpus Christi, TX.
- 1 stewing chicken or 1 fryer, cooked with 1 small onion, 1 rib of celery and 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch baking powder
- 4 teaspoons Butter Flavor Crisco
- 2 eggs
- When chicken is done cooking, remove from broth to cool.
- Debone and set aside.
- Strain broth.
- Sift flour with salt and baking powder.
- Mix in shortening with fingertips until blended.
- Beat eggs, and add about 1/2 cup chicken broth before adding to flour and shortening mixture.
- This should make a stiff dough, but if needed add a little more flour, or broth until the right consistency.
- Roll out until a little less than 1/4" thick.
- Cut into strips about 1" wide, then cut into 1" squares.
- Bring broth to fast boil and drop in one by one as quick as possible.
- Cover and boil 20 minutes.
- Fold in chicken.
I made this as a food gift and everyone loved it! Thank you so much for the recipe. I'll certainly make it over and over again. Nancy
This dumpling recipe is THE BEST!! My husband usually asks for biscuit-style dumplings but the kids won' t touch them, so I tried this recipe and everyone asked for seconds! I asked my husband if they were good and he said I needed to open up a country restaurant! Thank you for the fantastic recipe! (BTW, I added carrots)