Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is my mom's recipe, and it is absolutely the best.
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken
- 2 yellow onions (quartered)
- 4 -5 carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- Wash chicken and remove giblets.
- Half fill large pot with water.
- Add whole.
- Salt and pepper the water.
- Bring to boil.
- Simmer for 45 minutes.
- Ladle out of water.
- Let it cool.
- De-bone chicken.
- Drain water through cheese cloth.
- Cool liquid in fridge, let fat rise.
- Scoop fat off top.
- Reheat, and add vegetables.
- Let cook for 20-30 mins (gentle rolling boil, covered).
- Re-add chicken, bring back to boil.
- Dumplings: Mix dry ingredients, then add shortening and cut until it looks like meal. Then stir in milk. Then you are ready to drop them.
- Drop dumplings in water and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Then cover and cook 10 minutes.