Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
this recipe came originaly from a southern living magazine with a few modifications such as carrots,onion and celery. and is a family favorite
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) whole chicken, cut up
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons bacon drippings
- 1 cup milk
- onion (optional)
- celery (optional)
- carrot (optional)
- Cover the chicken with water and bring to a boil in a large dutch oven or pot.
- Add 1 1/2 tsp. salt.
- Add 1/2 tsp. pepper.
- Add garlic powder, dried thyme and ground red pepper.
- Add desired amount of chopped onion, celery and carrot (optional).
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove chicken, saving broth in dutch oven. Allow to cool.
- Skim fat from broth. (I cook the chicken the night before and pour the fat into a container and refrigerate overnight; it is easier to skim the fat this way.)
- Bring broth to a simmer.
- Skin, bone and coursely chop chicken.
- Add chicken, bouillon and remaining salt & pepper to broth.
- Return to simmer.
- TO MAKE DUMPLINGS...
- Combine flour and poultry seasoning in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening and bacon drippings with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
- Add milk, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll out to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Bring broth to a boil.
- Drop dumplings, a few at a time, into boiling broth.
- Stir gently.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer...stirring often, for about 25 minutes.
- ENJOY THIS SOUTHERN "COMFORT" FOOD ON A COLD DAY!
I had NEVER made Chicken & Dumplings and then I tried this recipe. I loved it!! It was almost exactly like my mom makes it. My husband thought that it had too much pepper for his taste but, it hit the spot for me! Thanks, I'll be making it again and again. I have tried to submit photos, hopefully they will help others determine if this is the recipe that they are looking for.
YUM! Follow the directions and take your time to do it right. It's worth it!
Delicious and easy. Thank you for posting. Just like my husband's grandmother used to make!