Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a favorite comfort food for our family on a cold night. Instead of chicken broth, I use water plus 3 T. Tone's Chicken Base available at Sam's Club.
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 potato, shredded
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 -4 carrots, chopped
- 3 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1 cup milk
- Place first 8 ingredients in a Dutch oven and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add vegetables and simmer until vegetables are just tender (20 min.).
- Mix Bisquik and milk to make drop biscuits.
- Drop by large spoonfuls into soup which has been brought to a rolling boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to simmer for 20 minutes, or until dumplings are done.
- (Be sure to remove bay leaf and cloves.).
WOW! This soup was pretty simple to prepare. I've never made dumplings before, so I was a little nervous... but at 20 minutes they looked perfect. This soup was even good the next day! I only made it because my husband has been wanting me to find a Chicken and dumpling recipe... and I served it to him and my aunt's family of five... even her 11 year old who has a list of about 8 meals he will eat (horribly picky!!!) asked for seconds. She had to have the recipe as well. A new favorite soup! Thanks for sharing!!! Kudos to the cook.
I cooked the chicken in water with the spices and just added enough broth to make 10 cups after removing chicken. That worked out well for me. My family loved it! Just enough for 2 lunches tomorrow. Thanks for posting!
This was delicious! I didn't have cream of mushroom soup so I just added another can of cream of chicken soup. I also made my dumplings from scratch. I will definitely be making this again.