Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens.This is easy, healthy, and good. Not that "soupy"
- 12 ounces boneless chicken
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crushed
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup fresh green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 2⁄3 cup reduced-fat baking mix
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Add oil to large saucepan and cook chicken over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle flour and marjoram over chicken.
- Stir in broth, onion, beans and carrots.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, cover and cook 30 minutes.
- For Dumplings: In medium mixing bowl stir together biscuit mix, cornmeal and cheese.
- Stir in milk until just moistened.
- Drop batter into hot soup, making 8 dumplings.
- Return to boiling, then reduce heat, cover and cook 10-12 minutes. Do not lift lid while dumplings cook.
- Use a toothpick to check dumplings for doneness. If toothpick comes out clean, dumplings are ready.
Mmm, I love the cheese in the dumplings. I didn't have biscuit mix, so I switched that with cornbread mix (1 cup) and used wheat flour (1/2 cup) and upped the cheese to about 1/3 cup. This is all proportional to about how much I upped everything else though. I boiled a whole chicken instead of the 12 ouncese boneless and shredded the meat off and added it to everything with the green beans to cook while I mixed the dumpling mix. Oh and I used a bit of celery too because I had some I wanted to use up. I added the carrots and celery in the beginning of boiling the chicken.