Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Very easy and delicious.
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8 ounce) cornbread stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Cook chicken. Remove from bones and cut into chunks.
- Save 2 2/3 cup broth from cooking chicken.
- Combine chicken soup with 1/2of the broth; mix well and set aside.
- Combine mushroom soup with remaining broth, mixing well.
- Combine stuffing mix and butter, reserve 1/4 cup for garnish.
- Spoon 1/2 of remaining stuffing mixture in a lightly greased 13x9 pan. Top with 1/2 of the chicken.
- Cover with chicken soup mix, repeat layers.
- Pour mushroom soup over layers.
- Sprinkle with remaining stuffing mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
This was really good. The only reason I'm not giving it 5* is that it needed salt and pepper. I did put salt in the water to boil the chicken, but it probably could have used another 1/4 tsp. mixed into the soups, and absolutely pepper. I just mixed both the soups with the broth and each other, and that worked fine. The casserole was very moist, and not even remotely dry. It was fine as is, but I bet it would be super over a nice baked potato, or even some noodles if you want more carbs. I'll be making this more often, Rosie, and putting some in the freezer for those days that Comfort Food is essential.
This recipe is very similar to my chicken casserole. Except I use 3 cans of cream of chicken soup, no butter or broth, and add shredded cheddar cheese to the mix. Layer the soup, chicken, and cheese. Then bake for about 30 minutes or until it bubbles. Excellent dish.