1/2 Photos of Chicken and Crab Gumbo Low Fat
A healthy and delicious stew which stretches 1/4 pound of chicken and 1/4 pound of crabmeat a long way. Add more hot sauce if you like heat, and add a cup of sliced okra if you like it. Adapted from Bonnie Stern.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with the juice)
- 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 lb crabmeat (I just use one can)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1Heat oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Whisk together the flour and cayenned, then whisk into oil. Reduce heat to medium/low and continue whisking for a few minutes until the roux turns a golden colour.
- 3Add onions, celery, peppers and garlic. Cook 5 - 10 minutes until vegetables are wilted.
- 4Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, rice, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 5Add corn and crabmeat and simmer 5 minutes. Add green onions and summer 2 minutes longer.
- 6Adjust salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- 7Note: You may add 1 cup sliced okra when you add the chicken.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Crab Gumbo Low Fat
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.3
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 655.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 10.9 g