1/2 Photos of Chicken and Crab Gumbo Low Fat
A healthy and delicious stew which stretches 1/4 pound of chicken and 1/4 pound of crabmeat a long way. Add more hot sauce if you like heat, and add a cup of sliced okra if you like it. Adapted from Bonnie Stern.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 sweet green pepper, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (with the juice)
- 1/4 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 cup long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup corn
- 1/4 lb crabmeat (I just use one can)
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1Heat oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Whisk together the flour and cayenned, then whisk into oil. Reduce heat to medium/low and continue whisking for a few minutes until the roux turns a golden colour.
- 3Add onions, celery, peppers and garlic. Cook 5 - 10 minutes until vegetables are wilted.
- 4Add broth, tomatoes, chicken, rice, salt, pepper and hot sauce. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 5Add corn and crabmeat and simmer 5 minutes. Add green onions and summer 2 minutes longer.
- 6Adjust salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- 7Note: You may add 1 cup sliced okra when you add the chicken.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Crab Gumbo Low Fat
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.3
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.1 mg
- Sodium 655.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 10.9 g