1/2 Photos of Chicken and Couscous With Fennel and Orange
I'm almost certain this is a Cook's Country recipe and if not, it's very similiar. The beauty of it, besides taste, it's a one skillet dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (tenderloins removed and breasts trimmed and pounded to a uniform 1/2-inch thickenss)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium onion, sliced thin
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, cored and sliced thin
- 1 cup couscous
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cup orange juice (divided)
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves (divided)
- 1Place the flour in a shallow dish. Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Working with 1 chicken breast at a time, dredge in the flour, shaking off the excess.
- 2Heat 2 tbs of the oil in a 12 inch nonstick skillet over medium high heat until shimmering. Carefully lay the chicken breasts in the skillet and cook until well browned on the first side, 6-8 minutes.
- 3Flip the chicken breasts over, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the thickest part of the chicken is cooked through at the thickest part, about 6-8 minutes longer. Transfer the chicken breasts to a plate, tent loosely with foil, and let rest while cooking the vegetables and couscous.
- 4Add 1 tbs more oil to the skillet and return to medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onion, fennel and 1/2 tsp salt and cook until the onion is softened, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the couscous, garlic and a pinch cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the 3/4 cup of the orange juice and broth, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer, cover, and let sit off the heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- 5In the meantime, whisk the remaining 5 tablespoons oil, remaining 1/4 cup orange juice, 2 tbs of the cilantro and a pinch of the cayenne together in a small bowl; set aside.
- 6Gently fold the remaining 2 tbs cilantro into the couscous with a fork and season with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle the oil-orange juice mixture over the chicken and couscous before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Couscous With Fennel and Orange
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 660.5
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 75.5 mg
- Sodium 188.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 34.7 g