Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
A hearty Moroccan soup from one of my favourite Aussie magazines - recipe adapted to suit my family.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 kg chicken thigh fillet, cut in 3
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 leek, washed and finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons moroccan seasoning, see note
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 800 g peeled chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups pumpkin, diced
- 2 zucchini, diced
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 birds eye chile, finely sliced
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on high.
- Cook the chicken in batches until golden.Remove and set aside.
- Add carrots and leeks to same pan,reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the seasoning and cumin. Return chicken to pan and add stock and tomatoes. Bring to boil then reduce heat.
- Stir in pumpkin and simmer for 5 minutes or until pumpkin is tender. Add zucchini and zest,season to taste and simmer further 5 minutes.
- Place the couscous in a bowl and add boiling water. Cover with plastic wrap and stand for 5 minutes,then fluff with a fork.
- Divide couscous between serving bowls and ladle in the soup.
- Serve topped with the chopped coriander and chilli slices.
- NOTE: Moroccan Seasoning recipe#141053 is a good substitute if commercial Moroccan Seasoning is unavailable.
The flavors of this soup are amazing. It's like fireworks in your mouth. I used large couscous, because that is what I had on hand. Thank you Fairy Nuff.
A really hearty rustic soup which passes as main meal. I followed the recipe to the T except I left out the leeks and used shallots instead also I left out the chilli and sauted the chicken with some garlic and red chili paste.Next time I will add more morrocan spice to the dish. I loved the lemoney flavour and the corriander was the "cherry" on top. Thank you for posting Fairy Nuff.