8 hrs 15 mins
A different take on chicken & dumplings from diabeticliving.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 78.07 ml corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml fresh rosemary, snipped or 2.46 ml dried rosemary, crushed
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 2 chicken thighs, skinned
- 236.59 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 118.29 ml nonfat milk
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 1In a 1 1/2- or 2-quart slow cooker, combine carrots, celery, corn, onion, garlic, rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with chicken. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
- 2Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. If no heat setting is available, cook for 5 to 5 1/2 hours.
- 3Meanwhile In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl combine egg white, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- 4If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting (or if no heat setting is available, continue cooking). Transfer chicken to a cutting board; cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut chicken off bones; discard bones. Chop chicken; return to mixture in cooker. In a small bowl, combine milk and flour until smooth. Stir into mixture in cooker.
- 5Using two spoons, drop Cornmeal Dumplings dough into four mounds on top of hot chicken mixture. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. (Do not lift cover during cooking.).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 530.9
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 80.3 mg
- Sodium 399.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 8.3 g
- Protein 28.8 g