Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A different take on chicken & dumplings from diabeticliving.com
Make and share this Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 78.07 ml corn kernel (fresh or frozen)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml fresh rosemary, snipped or 2.46 ml dried rosemary, crushed
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 2 chicken thighs, skinned
- 236.59 ml reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 118.29 ml nonfat milk
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 59.14 ml flour
- 59.14 ml cornmeal
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 0.25 ml salt
- 1 egg white
- 14.79 ml nonfat milk
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- In a 1 1/2- or 2-quart slow cooker, combine carrots, celery, corn, onion, garlic, rosemary, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with chicken. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. If no heat setting is available, cook for 5 to 5 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile In a medium bowl stir together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. In a small bowl combine egg white, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture to flour mixture; stir just until moistened.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting (or if no heat setting is available, continue cooking). Transfer chicken to a cutting board; cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, cut chicken off bones; discard bones. Chop chicken; return to mixture in cooker. In a small bowl, combine milk and flour until smooth. Stir into mixture in cooker.
- Using two spoons, drop Cornmeal Dumplings dough into four mounds on top of hot chicken mixture. Cover and cook for 20 to 25 minutes more or until a toothpick inserted into a dumpling comes out clean. (Do not lift cover during cooking.).