Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings
Make and share this Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
For the stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 2⁄3 lbs raw chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 2 medium turnips, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups stock
- salt and pepper
For the dumplings
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour (228 calories, 0 g fat, 2 g fiber)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Saute the onion in the olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 2.
- minutes longer. Stir in the carrots, parsnip, turnips, thyme, and stock.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce the heat, add the chicken to the pan, cover and cook.
- over medium-low heat 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder.
- and salt in a large bowl. Mix well and stir in the egg, milk and mustard.
- Mix well.
- After the chicken has cooked for 15 minutes, spoon the dumpling batter over.
- the stew in large spoonfuls. Cook, covered, until just firm, about 15.