Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings
Make and share this Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
For the stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 2⁄3 lbs raw chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 2 medium turnips, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups stock
- salt and pepper
For the dumplings
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour (228 calories, 0 g fat, 2 g fiber)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Saute the onion in the olive oil for 2 minutes. Add the garlic; cook 2.
- minutes longer. Stir in the carrots, parsnip, turnips, thyme, and stock.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce the heat, add the chicken to the pan, cover and cook.
- over medium-low heat 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder.
- and salt in a large bowl. Mix well and stir in the egg, milk and mustard.
- Mix well.
- After the chicken has cooked for 15 minutes, spoon the dumpling batter over.
- the stew in large spoonfuls. Cook, covered, until just firm, about 15.
Mmmm,everybody loved this one! The veggie mix is perfect and the dumplings go so well with it. Thanks for a new family favourite!