Recipe by MamaJ
This is a prize winning recipe in Cook's Country magazine (slightly modified). It is a delicious chowder with a twist...it has corn muffin mix as a thickening agent. The sweet potatoes also add something a little different from the usual chowder. An added bonus is that it goes together fairly quickly. This received rave reviews from my weekly soup night gang. Try this chowder--your tummy will thank you.
Top Review by stacym_63_11204229
It's no wonder this soup was a prize winner. It is creamy without being heavy or gloppy, very flavorful in spite of the simple combination of ingredients, comforting, and absolutely delicious!
- 709.77 ml whole milk
- 212.62 g box corn muffin mix
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2.46 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml oregano
- 1892.0 ml chicken broth
- 680.38 g chicken breasts, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 236.59 ml shredded monterey jack cheese
- 709.77 ml frozen corn
- 59.14-118.29 ml fresh parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk and muffin mix in a bowl. Set aside.
- Saute onion in butter until soft (about 8 min.).
- Add garlic, cumin, and oregano.
- Cook until fragrant.
- Add broth, chicken and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in reserved muffin mixture and simmer until soup thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Add cheese and corn and cook until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add parsley. Stir and serve.