This is a prize winning recipe in Cook's Country magazine (slightly modified). It is a delicious chowder with a twist...it has corn muffin mix as a thickening agent. The sweet potatoes also add something a little different from the usual chowder. An added bonus is that it goes together fairly quickly. This received rave reviews from my weekly soup night gang. Try this chowder--your tummy will thank you.
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine milk and muffin mix in a bowl. Set aside.
- Saute onion in butter until soft (about 8 min.).
- Add garlic, cumin, and oregano.
- Cook until fragrant.
- Add broth, chicken and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in reserved muffin mixture and simmer until soup thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Add cheese and corn and cook until heated through.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add parsley. Stir and serve.
It's no wonder this soup was a prize winner. It is creamy without being heavy or gloppy, very flavorful in spite of the simple combination of ingredients, comforting, and absolutely delicious!
This was so easy to put together, and quick too (once the potatoes cooked). I made with 1% milk and didn't have monterey jack cheese so used a combo of mozzarella and provolone. I made a 2-serving batch and it was the perfect amount for lunch today with a bowl leftover for tomorrow. I liked how the corn muffin mix thickened it up quickly. Made for PRMR.
What a great tasting soup! I didn't use whole milk [2% instead]; did use low sodium chicken broth; didn't add any additional salt; & after all that I DID pretty much follow the recipe & had a great tasting chowder! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed for Please Review My Recipe cooking game]