This recipe comes from the 2005 cookbook, The Best Recipes in the World.
Make and share this Chicken and Coconut Soup (Thailand) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 quart coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 lemongrass, stalks trimmed, smashed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3⁄4 inch fresh ginger, cut into 10 slices
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 fresh lime leaves, fresh, roughly chopped
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine coconut milk & chicken stock, bringing to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat, add the chicken pieces & simmer about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon & set aside.
- Add lemongrass, ginger, chile & lime leaves & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove larger pieces of spices with a slotted spoon, then return the chicken to the saucepan, along with the mushrooms & heat through, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat & stir in the fish sauce, lime juice & sugar, then season with salt & pepper, before garnishing with the cilantro, if desired.