Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe comes from the 2005 cookbook, The Best Recipes in the World.
Make and share this Chicken and Coconut Soup (Thailand) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 quart coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 3 lemongrass, stalks trimmed, smashed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 3⁄4 inch fresh ginger, cut into 10 slices
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 fresh lime leaves, fresh, roughly chopped
- 1 cup button mushroom, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (optional)
- In a large saucepan, combine coconut milk & chicken stock, bringing to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat, add the chicken pieces & simmer about 10 minutes or until cooked through. Remove chicken with a slotted spoon & set aside.
- Add lemongrass, ginger, chile & lime leaves & simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove larger pieces of spices with a slotted spoon, then return the chicken to the saucepan, along with the mushrooms & heat through, about 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat & stir in the fish sauce, lime juice & sugar, then season with salt & pepper, before garnishing with the cilantro, if desired.
Yummy! I'm sitting and enjoying this soup as I write the review, and I have to keep stopping to take another bite. This has my favorite Thai flavors- coconut milk, lime juice, and fish sauce; which makes this taste just like my favorite curry. I love how the gentle poaching leaves the chicken so moist and tender; and how the pepper flake gives a gentle bite to the creaminess of the coconut milk. I found that I didn't need any extra salt or pepper, the fish sauce added enough salt for my taste. This is perfect as is; if I felt the need for more vegetables in my meal, I'd add a few sliced snow peas, but otherwise, just perfect. Thanks for a lovely lunch!
* Reviewed for ZWT6 Whine and Cheese Gang* Very tasty soup. Lovely poached chicken and mushrooms in a flavourful soup. We added steamed rice to our soup and this dish really makes a full meal. Photos to be posted