Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Simple and delicious. Adapted from Epicurous
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar (not seasoned)
- 1 lb ground chicken (not breast meat)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Stir together soy and vinegar in a bowl for dipping sauce.
- Stir together chicken, egg, cilantro, scallions, sesame oil, and salt with a fork until just blended.
- With wet hands form chicken mixture into 1-inch balls, transferring them to baking pan as formed.
- Bake in a 425 oven for 10-12 minutes.
- Serve meatballs with dipping sauce.
I wish I had doubled the recipe -- good oriental-ish flavours here. I had to use ground turkey as I couldn't get my hands on any ground chicken. Other changes: I only used the egg white, not the yolk; I had to add crushed crackers to make it dry enough to roll into balls, it was just too wet, and I used Ryvita sesame crackers for this; I added some fresh minced ginger and like another reviewer, a few dashes of tabasco; finally, I cooked them for about 20 minutes in the oven. Really scrumptious, will make again SOON.
I used 3 large green onions (that's what I had on hand) and, since I like more spice, I added 3 large cloves of garlic, a few dashes of Tabasco, and a few drops of the sesame oil to the chicken mixture. WOW!
Lovely fresh flavor because of the herbs. Because of a change in dinner plans these became burgers instead of bites...would make them again!! The only change I made was adding a clove of garlic to the chicken mix.