Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A updated version of your favortie mexican restaurant's Chicken Tortilla Soup - with a little more oomph! A perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo.
- 1 lb chicken tenders, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb spanish chorizo, casing removed, diced
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kernel corn
- 4 dried anaheim chilies
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (7 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 bay leaves
- 7 ounces medium vermicelli
- 1 lime, zested and juiced, and quartered
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream or 1⁄4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Lawry's baja chipotle sauce with lime juice
- 2 cups broken tortilla chips
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- In a large sauté pan heat 2 TB butter and 1 TB oil.
- Add onions and celery and sauté until tender.
- Add dried Anaheim chilies to a separate pot and cover with water, heat to boiling, reduce to simmer.
- Add carrots to onion and celery mixture and continue to sauté until golden and slightly tender.
- Meanwhile, add chilies and all liquid into a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Add blended chili mixture to the sautéing vegetable mixture and deglaze.
- Add chopped chicken and diced chorizo and stir well to incorporate.
- In another sauté pan add remaining butter and oil and add entire package of vermicelli and stir constantly for 1-2 minutes until noodles are slightly golden and nutty.
- Add chicken stock to vermicelli and stir - reduce to simmer for 5-6 minutes or until al dente.
- Add noodles and all the liquid into the large soup pot.
- Add the tomatoes, corn, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chipotle sauce, salt, pepper, bay leaves, chopped parsley, lime zest and juice of 1/2 of the lime - stir well and reduce to simmer.
- Allow soup to simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Serve with cheese, chips, sour cream, and splash of lime.