Recipe by Chandra M
Thumbs up & awesome is how my husband described this stew. I served with steamed brown rice, but tortillas or tortilla chips would be good as well. You can vary the amount of spiciness by adjusting the amount of chipotle chile you add. Put the chicken broth and can of tomatoes in the fridge overnight to prevent the chicken from overcooking and getting dry (or reduce cook time). Adapted slightly from Cook's Illustrated Best Make Ahead Recipes.
Top Review by decarli1
The flavor of this was excellent, we really enjoyed it! I found it to be pretty liquidy so I added nearly 3 cups of instant brown rice. That really helped! I served it with cheese on top. Yum. DH said it would be good with cornbread too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, minced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1⁄4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, chilled
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, chilled
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1⁄4 cup minute tapioca
- 3 tablespoons minced chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Ad the onion, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and cook until the onions are soft & slightly browned.
- Pour the onion mixture in the slow cooker and stir in the chicken, broth, tomatoes, chorizo, tapioca, chipotles, and sugar to combine.
- Cover and cook on low until the chicken is tender, 7-9 hours (or high for 4-5 hours).
- Tilt the cooker insert slightly and skim excess fat from the surface with a large flat spoon.
- Stir in the corn & black beans. Let stand about 15 minutes until they are heated through.
- Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve.