1/1 Photo of Chicken and Chorizo Stew (Slow Cooker)
8 hrs 30 mins
Chandra M's Note:
Thumbs up & awesome is how my husband described this stew. I served with steamed brown rice, but tortillas or tortilla chips would be good as well. You can vary the amount of spiciness by adjusting the amount of chipotle chile you add. Put the chicken broth and can of tomatoes in the fridge overnight to prevent the chicken from overcooking and getting dry (or reduce cook time). Adapted slightly from Cook's Illustrated Best Make Ahead Recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 medium onions, minced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth, chilled
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, chilled
- 12 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup minute tapioca
- 3 tablespoons minced chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- ground black pepper
- 1Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until the oil is shimmering. Ad the onion, garlic, 1/4 tsp salt and cook until the onions are soft & slightly browned.
- 2Pour the onion mixture in the slow cooker and stir in the chicken, broth, tomatoes, chorizo, tapioca, chipotles, and sugar to combine.
- 3Cover and cook on low until the chicken is tender, 7-9 hours (or high for 4-5 hours).
- 4Tilt the cooker insert slightly and skim excess fat from the surface with a large flat spoon.
- 5Stir in the corn & black beans. Let stand about 15 minutes until they are heated through.
- 6Season with salt & pepper to taste. Serve.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Chorizo Stew (Slow Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (547 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 773.2
- Calories from Fat 332
- Total Fat 36.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 254.5 mg
- Sodium 1080.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 69.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
diced fire-roasted tomatoes
chipotle chiles in adobo