Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
This full-flavoured chicken and chorizo paella recipe allows you to make one dish and freeze a second. You'll have a delicious dinner tucked away for a rainy day, with minimal extra effort. Makes 2 meals, each serving 4. To freeze and reheat: Freeze half the paella in 2 freezer-proof boxes for up to 1 month. Thaw in the fridge for 24 hours or until completely thawed. Microwave in portions on high at 900W for 3-4 minutes, until piping hot.
- 10 1⁄2 ounces chorizo sausage, halved lengthways and sliced
- 8 chicken thighs, skin removed, boned and cut into large chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 1⁄3 lbs paella rice
- 8 1⁄2 cups chicken stock, hot
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 5 ounces fine green beans, trimmed and blanched
- 6 roma tomatoes, cut into chunky pieces
- 1 ounce fresh flat leaf parsley, leaves picked and chopped
- lemon wedge, to serve
- Heat 2 large, deep frying pans over a medium heat. When hot, divide the chorizo between the pans and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes, until turning golden and the oil has been released. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Divide the chicken between the pans and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring, until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to each pan, then divide the onions between them. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes, until softened. Divide the garlic and paprika between each pan and cook for 1 minute. Divide the rice between them, stir to coat in the oil. Add half the hot stock to each. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to the pans and divide the peppers, beans and tomatoes between the pans. Stir and cook for 5 minutes, adding a little more stock or hot water if necessary.
- Season and stir the chorizo and parsley into each pan. Divide 1 pan of the paella between 2 freezer-proof boxes, cool, label and freeze (see freezing tip).
- Continue to cook the other paella for 5 minutes or until the rice is just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated. Serve with lemon wedges to squeeze over.