Recipe by twissis
From the *Best Ever Chicken* cookbook edited by Linda Fraser & per the intro -- "The perfect way to use up leftover cold meats, this spicy dish is a fast & fortifying meal for a hungry family." A cook's note attached to the recipe further states "You can also add cooked ham (or pork), smoked cod (or haddock) & fresh shellfish to this dish." (10-15 min time was allowed for ingredient prep. Cooking time includes 5 min standing prior to serving). *Enjoy* !
Top Review by IngridH
What a great way to use leftovers! I madre this in my rice cooker, which worked beautifully. The only change I wade was to use a portuguese red pepper paste instead of tomato puree, which added a nice smokey flavor to the dish. Made for ZWT8
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 celery rib (chopped)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cups rice (long-grain, uncooked)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes (pureed, see note following prep)
- 3 -4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 8 ounces chicken (cooked & sliced in bite-size pieces)
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage (cooked & sliced thinly, may sub sausage of choice)
- 3 ounces frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a lrg saucepan. Add onion, celery + red bell pepper & cook to soften, but do not allow to caramelize.
- Add rice, chicken stock, tomato puree & Tobasco sauce. Simmer for 10 min, uncovered.
- Stir in chicken, sausage + peas & simmer for a further 5 minutes. Turn off heat, cover & allow to stand for 5 min b4 serving.
- NOTE: For the sake of an easy + fast prep & because only 1 tbsp of tomato puree is used in the recipe, I will likely sub chili sauce & you can feel free to sub your own choice as desired.