1/3 Photos of Chicken and Chorizo (Leftovers in Tasty Disguise)
From the *Best Ever Chicken* cookbook edited by Linda Fraser & per the intro -- "The perfect way to use up leftover cold meats, this spicy dish is a fast & fortifying meal for a hungry family." A cook's note attached to the recipe further states "You can also add cooked ham (or pork), smoked cod (or haddock) & fresh shellfish to this dish." (10-15 min time was allowed for ingredient prep. Cooking time includes 5 min standing prior to serving). *Enjoy* !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 celery rib (chopped)
- 1/2 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cups rice (long-grain, uncooked)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato (pureed, see note following prep)
- 3 -4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 8 ounces chicken (cooked & sliced in bite-size pieces)
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage (cooked & sliced thinly, may sub sausage of choice)
- 3 ounces frozen peas
- 1Heat the oil in a lrg saucepan. Add onion, celery + red bell pepper & cook to soften, but do not allow to caramelize.
- 2Add rice, chicken stock, tomato puree & Tobasco sauce. Simmer for 10 min, uncovered.
- 3Stir in chicken, sausage + peas & simmer for a further 5 minutes. Turn off heat, cover & allow to stand for 5 min b4 serving.
- 4NOTE: For the sake of an easy + fast prep & because only 1 tbsp of tomato puree is used in the recipe, I will likely sub chili sauce & you can feel free to sub your own choice as desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Chorizo (Leftovers in Tasty Disguise)
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.8
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 49.8 mg
- Sodium 512.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 4.6 g
- Protein 21.0 g