Prep 10 mins
Cook 23 mins
From the *Best Ever Chicken* cookbook edited by Linda Fraser & per the intro -- "The perfect way to use up leftover cold meats, this spicy dish is a fast & fortifying meal for a hungry family." A cook's note attached to the recipe further states "You can also add cooked ham (or pork), smoked cod (or haddock) & fresh shellfish to this dish." (10-15 min time was allowed for ingredient prep. Cooking time includes 5 min standing prior to serving). *Enjoy* !
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 celery rib (chopped)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper (chopped)
- 2 cups rice (long-grain, uncooked)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes (pureed, see note following prep)
- 3 -4 drops Tabasco sauce
- 8 ounces chicken (cooked & sliced in bite-size pieces)
- 4 ounces chorizo sausage (cooked & sliced thinly, may sub sausage of choice)
- 3 ounces frozen peas
- Heat the oil in a lrg saucepan. Add onion, celery + red bell pepper & cook to soften, but do not allow to caramelize.
- Add rice, chicken stock, tomato puree & Tobasco sauce. Simmer for 10 min, uncovered.
- Stir in chicken, sausage + peas & simmer for a further 5 minutes. Turn off heat, cover & allow to stand for 5 min b4 serving.
- NOTE: For the sake of an easy + fast prep & because only 1 tbsp of tomato puree is used in the recipe, I will likely sub chili sauce & you can feel free to sub your own choice as desired.
What a great way to use leftovers! I madre this in my rice cooker, which worked beautifully. The only change I wade was to use a portuguese red pepper paste instead of tomato puree, which added a nice smokey flavor to the dish. Made for ZWT8
Twissis this is my kind of recipe! Fast and easy on a busy weeknight but very delicious! I loved the spice in this recipe, and believe it or not it was only my second time using Chorizo in my life and I just love it even more! Thanks I wouldn't change anything about this one and will make again.
Great! added more chicken and chorizo, and alot more hot sauce, used cocktail sauce, rice wasnt done all the way so next time I'm going to cover it during the cooking time. ty