Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Came across this soup in a fancy hotel restaurant and have tried to duplicate it based on taste. This comes pretty close, I added the tortellini noodles. Great as a meal by itself or served with cold sandwiches.
- 2 (46 ounce) cans low-sodium tomato juice
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 18 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 lbs cheese-filled tortellini
- 2 cups fat-free cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons ground basil
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- Slice or dice chicken breast (can purchase already diced, if desired).
- In a large pot, combine chicken broth, diced chicken, and all herbs.
- Bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomato juice and cheese; lower heat to medium until cheese begins to melt.
- Prepare noodles (do not fully cook); add to soup.
- Allow to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- **Differenttypes of chicken can be substituted such as fajita or hot& spicy.
- In addition, chicken can be replaced with Italian sausage or meatballs.
*phew, the first rating, and this recipe has been up since 2003?!* okay... here are my thoughts. a VERY GOOD recipe. i had left over chicken, and this called for it. thank you!! and i added a bit of red pepper flakes for a little spice. NEXT TIME (because i will make it again) i would saute an entire onion, and about 4 cloves of garlic. not only for the pure taste, but also for a little more texture. after sauting, i'd add my tomatoes (i took 2.5 quarts of home canned and blended them) and 24 ounces of home made frozen turkey stock. i'll also try the suggestion of the italian sausage.