1/1 Photo of Chicken and Cheese Empanadas
Hey Jude's Note:
These can be appetizers or a main dish. They're so easy to make, using the refrigerated pizza crust dough. I found this recipe in the July 2003 issue of Sunset magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red peppers (jarred OK)
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- 2 (10 ounce) packages refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 large egg
- 1In a bowl, mix chicken with Swiss cheese, red pepper, onion and pepper.
- 2In a 1 1/2-2 quart saucepan, mix broth with cornstarch; add cream cheese, whisk over high heat until mixture is boiling (it will be very thick), 2 to 3 minutes; scrape over chicken mixture and combine well, adding salt to taste.
- 3On a lightly floured board, unroll the pizza crust dough; cut each rectangle crosswise into thirds; on one end of each piece, mound about 5 tablespoons chicken mixture; fold the other end of dough over filling to form a rectangle, then fold edges together and pinch to seal.
- 4Gently place empanadas, slightly apart, on a greased 12 by 15-inch baking sheet; in a small bowl, beat egg to blend; brush generously over each pastry.
- 5Bake in a 375° oven until richly browned, about 22 to 25 minutes; transfer to a rack and let cool at least 10 minutes.
- 6Serve hot or warm.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Cheese Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (94 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 163.7
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 81.1 mg
- Sodium 202.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 13.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: