Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
From a local cookbook.
Make and share this Chicken and Cheese Crescent Chimichangas recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 oz.)
- sour cream
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is tender.
- Add chicken; cook over low heat until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Separate dough into 8 rectangles; firmly press perforations to seal.
- Spread 2 teaspoonfuls of the salsa on each rectangle to within 1/2 inch of edges.
- Stir 1 cup of the cheese into chicken mixture.
- Spoon 1/3 cup chicken mixture on half of each rectangle.
- Starting at shortest side topped with chicken, roll up; pinch ends to seal.
- Place seam side down on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 16 to 21 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven; top each with about 2 tablespoons of remaining cheese.
- Return to oven.
- Bake an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with sour cream and additional salsa.
We loved these! I sprinkled the chicken with Adobo seasoning, dried cilantro, and a touch more cumin before cooking. I also used colby jack cheese, they were fantastic. This will be a favorite from now on.
The gooey uncooked crescent roll in the center of the chimichanga I found to be less than appealing. The flavor was great but the texture of raw dough with melted cheese was a bit creepy. I baked them the full time plus an extra five for the cheese. They appeared done with a nice golden crust but the dough on the inside was raw. If I were to make them again I would roll them as instructed but cut them like cinnamon rolls and bake them in a pan as I would rolls. This way the centers would get done and be pretty served on a bed of lettuce drizzled with sour cream.
I made one big one by laying out one can of cresents on the cookie sheet. Then laying the ingrediants over this and then placing the other can on top. This was a simple dish made even simpler by using some leftover grilled chicken...yum!