Recipe by *Asha*
This comes from one of my many cookbooks. Sweet potatoes add color and a slightly sweet flavor. You can also try yams for even more color.
Top Review by ceruleanseven
This is the first chowder I've made, and we really enjoyed it! I accidentally forgot the salt - note to self: be sure to remember it next time. Instead of heavy whipping cream, I made a medium thick roux with low-fat milk; it seemed to work well. Good fall flavors, perfect for a chilly autumn evening.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion, cumin, and chicken 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink.
- Stir in sweet potatoes and broth. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese and cilantro. Cook until hot. Gradually stir in cheese just until melted.
- Sprinkle each serving with cilantro, if using.