This comes from one of my many cookbooks. Sweet potatoes add color and a slightly sweet flavor. You can also try yams for even more color.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1Melt butter in Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook onion, cumin, and chicken 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink.
- 2Stir in sweet potatoes and broth. Heat to boiling, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 3Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese and cilantro. Cook until hot. Gradually stir in cheese just until melted.
- 4Sprinkle each serving with cilantro, if using.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Cheese Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.1
- Calories from Fat 162
- Total Fat 18.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 76.0 mg
- Sodium 508.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 16.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth