Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is based on a Filipino recipe called chicken Tinola or chicken and papaya. The chayote is firmer than papaya and has a mild taste. chayote is also called pipinella.
- Cut up chicken into serving size pieces.
- Heat oil in a large pot or Dutch oven. Brown chicken, ginger and garlic. Be careful not to burn garlic.
- Add broth, salt, and pepper.
- Cover; simmer for 2-1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Peel chayote and remove seed. Cut chayote into one inch cubes. Add chayote to pot and cook until chayote is fork tender. (10-15 minutes).
- Serve over hot rice in a bowl. Makes six servings.
- Fish sauce can be substituted for salt or 2 green papayas can be substituted for chayote.
This is a great recipe and it's easy, too. My family enjoyed it very much. If you brown the chicken a little longer it tastes even better. The chayote is tasty and a scoop of rice in a bowl with this soup is filling! My husband is Filipino, and he was impressed that I was able to make this dish! Thx Amy from Hawaii!