Recipe by HappyBunny
This recipe has been given to me by my mother who has empty plates when she makes it for us! Champ is just mashed potato made with onion flavoured milk. It is truly delicious and part of it can be prepared ahead which makes it a good dinner party choice. Preparation time includes the 15 minutes needed for infusing. Its from Good Housekeeping about five or six years ago. Try it. You won't be disappointed!
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 15 ml caster sugar
- 45 ml balsamic vinegar
- 125 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 125 g spring onions, finely sliced
- 50 g butter
- 150 ml milk
- 900 g potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 4 chicken breasts or 4 chicken legs, with skin on
- 30 ml olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk the garlic, sugar and balsamic vinegar in a bowl; Stir in the tomatoes, salt and pepper and leave on the side.
- In a small saucepan, bring the spring onions, butter and milk to the boil and then set aside for about 15 minutes to let the flavours infuse; Cook the potatoes in boiling water until tender; Drain, dry and mash over a low heat; Beat in the hot milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and fry in the olive oil in a heavy based saucepan on a high heat for approximately 6 minutes, turn over and cook for another 6 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked; Add the tomato mixture and let it bubble for 2-3 minutes; Add a little water if the tomato juices reduce too much.
- To serve, arrange the chicken on the champ and spoon the tomatoes and juices over the top.
- NOTE: To prepare ahead, complete until the end of step two up to 6 hrs ahead; cover and chill the dresssing and champ separately; To use just reheat the champ and complete the recipe.