Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a curry with a thick and nutty sauce. The recipe was passed to me by Mrs. Shirodkar, he wife of a famous doctor in Bombay. My thanks to her again, for a wonderful dish with not too many ingredients.
- 1360.77 g skinless chicken, and jointed
- 113.39 g desiccated coconut
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 36.97 ml coriander seeds
- 7.39 ml cumin seeds
- 6 dried red chilies
- 6 cloves
- 3 inch cinnamon sticks
- 226.79 g cashew nuts
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 73.94 ml oil
- In a dry pan roast the coconut, garlic, ginger, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies,cloves and cinnamon over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 oz of the cashew nuts and the onion cook for 10 mins stirring all the time to prevent burning and sticking.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
- In a blender process the spices with 3/4 cup water to make a fine smooth paste.(a coarse paste will give the appearance of a curdled curry) Set the paste aside. Wash blender.
- Grind 1 oz of the nuts with 1 tbsp water to make a paste.
- Heat the oil in a heavy pot and fry the spice mixture over low heat for 10 minutes Add the ground cashew nuts and salt to taste, cook 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups warm water and cook on low for 10 mins with the pot covered.
- Add the remaiming nuts and cook till the chicken is tender.
- The curry should appear as a dark thick sauce with the whole nuts and chicken.
- Serve with lemon rice for a nice change.
Aroma Aroma Aroma, the whole house smelt divine. I think I didn't cook the spices long enough as I was worried about it being burnt so mine didn't turn out very black. However this didn't take away from the dish it was absolutely yummy. Changes I made was used four cloves of garlic, had an important meeting the next day ;) and used skinless died chicken. Thank you Brian H