Prep 0 mins
Cook 55 mins
Copied this out of an old magazine while waiting at the Doctors,
Make and share this Chicken and Cashew Nut Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 kg chicken thigh pieces, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 140 g roasted cashew nuts
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan and the chicken pieces.
- Turn them to prevent them from sticking to the pan and brown the pieces well.
- Transfer to a plate. Add onion, garlic and ginger to the pan with all the spices and allow to cook 3 - 4 minutes over a moderate heat until the pan smells wonderfully fragrant. Stir regularly.
- Add the flour and cook a further minute. Stir in the chicken stock and bring to the boil.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan and cook for about 30 - 35 minutes until the chicken is well cooked.
- take two-thirds of the cashews and process them in a blender or food processor until finely chopped but not to a powder.
- Add to the pan with the remaining whole cashews.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- If wished, finish with yoghurt and garnish with fresh coriander just before serving.
- Serve over Basmati rice. Cheers, Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- New Zealand.
I thought this was excellent--very flavorful sauce, chicken moist and tender. But I really felt it was missing a touch of sweetness for contrast. I added a bit of sliced banana and think that that little addition really made this curry wonderful.
A splendid,easy meal with which to finish a freezing-cold Canadian winter evening. (I stirred in sour-cream just before serving.) Thank you Ms. Randal! Your doctor gives GREAT recipe!