Recipe by WiGal
This recipe comes from Forever Summer by Nigella Lawson. Serve with a bowlful of basmati rice and some flat bread. I also think you could make most of this ahead, if you do not stir the cashews in until you reheat the chicken curry mixture. I have decreased the water a bit from the original and still wonder if it is has too much liquid.
Top Review by Tea Jenny
Yum, Yum, Yum, I just loved this so nice, made exactly as the recipe said. My DD came for dinner and she went home with my print out and pinched my cashew nuts I had left really! the cheek of it he, he, he. seriously it was very nice DH & DD had there's with rice and I had cauliflower florets grated and steamed to be like rice I am low carbing. The next time I make it I might use a bit more chili as we do like it very hot but it was a very nice dinner. Thank you for posting.
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 small green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 2⁄3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved in the above boiling water
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 35 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 7 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1⁄2 cup cashew nuts, heaping
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a wide saucepan and fry the onions gently, sprinkled with a little salt to stop them burning, until softened and then add the ginger, garlic, chillies, turmeric, cumin, and coriander and cook,stirring, for another minute or so.
- Stir the coconut milk and prepared chicken stock into the onion spice paste and when everything is incorporated add the cardamon (remove the outside husk) and chicken pieces.
- Bring the curry back to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is just about cooked through.
- Check the seasoning and add the beans, cooking for another 5 minutes or so.
- While you're waiting for them to cook, toast the cashew nuts in a dry frying pan until colored a little, then tip in the cashew nuts into the chicken mixture, stir in the sour cream and half of the chopped cilantro.
- Ladle into bowls, sprinkling with more of the cilantro as you go.