1/1 Photo of Chicken and Cashew Nut Curry
This recipe comes from Forever Summer by Nigella Lawson. Serve with a bowlful of basmati rice and some flat bread. I also think you could make most of this ahead, if you do not stir the cashews in until you reheat the chicken curry mixture. I have decreased the water a bit from the original and still wonder if it is has too much liquid.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3/4 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 small green chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 2/3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 chicken bouillon cube, dissolved in the above boiling water
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 35 ounces boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bit-sized pieces
- 7 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts, heaping
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1Heat oil in a wide saucepan and fry the onions gently, sprinkled with a little salt to stop them burning, until softened and then add the ginger, garlic, chillies, turmeric, cumin, and coriander and cook,stirring, for another minute or so.
- 2Stir the coconut milk and prepared chicken stock into the onion spice paste and when everything is incorporated add the cardamon (remove the outside husk) and chicken pieces.
- 3Bring the curry back to the boil and then turn down the heat and simmer gently for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is just about cooked through.
- 4Check the seasoning and add the beans, cooking for another 5 minutes or so.
- 5While you're waiting for them to cook, toast the cashew nuts in a dry frying pan until colored a little, then tip in the cashew nuts into the chicken mixture, stir in the sour cream and half of the chopped cilantro.
- 6Ladle into bowls, sprinkling with more of the cilantro as you go.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken and Cashew Nut Curry
Serving Size: 1 (367 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.5
- Calories from Fat 301
- Total Fat 33.5 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 141.5 mg
- Sodium 394.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 37.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: