Top Review by Mysterygirl
I made this with the capers but minus the chicken stock (couldn't find the can opener after going camping last weekend). It turned out great. Be sure to serve this with a nice crusty bread to sop up some of the sauces - it's wonderful.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces (skin on or off)
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (can use more)
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil (more as needed)
- 1 lb button mushroom (use small mushrooms or larger ones, sliced)
- 2 medium green bell peppers, diced (or use one of each, green and red)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 -2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 2⁄3 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine or 1⁄2 cup marsala
- 3 -4 tablespoons capers
Directions See How It's Made
- Season the chicken pieces with seasoning salt (or regular salt) and pepper.
- Place the flour in a heavy plastic bag; add in chicken pieces and coat completely with flour.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat (I use my large electric frypan for this).
- Add in the chicken pieces to the skillet and brown for about 4 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Pour off some of the fat, and leave a little in the skillet.
- Add in mushrooms, green bell peppers, chopped garlic, onion, crushed red pepper flakes and oregano; saute until onion is tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add/mix in marinara sauce, chicken broth, wine and capers.
- Return the chicken to the skillet, tossing the sauce over the chicken; bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat to medium low.
- Cover skillet and simmer until chicken is tender (about 35 minutes, or more).
- Using long tongs transfer the chicken to a large serving platter.
- Boil the sauce until slightly thickened (about another 5 minutes).
- Spoon the sauce over chicken.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese.