Recipe by pink cook
This is a good combination of ingredients and flavors with a good result. Hope you enjoy it.
Top Review by Zurie
Made for DINING ON A DOLLAR, Feb.2013. This recipe was a lovely surprise -- real homey, savoury, comfort food! I was very uncertain about the instruction to bake cabbage with the chicken for 45 minutes -- wayyy too long for cabbage, I thought. But this chef got it all right. I followed the recipe exactly as it was put down, using perhaps a little more veggies. The only very slight difference (which cannot make a difference to the outcome) was that I used a can of whole cherry tomatoes in their sauce (all I had). For seasoning, I used a local "Grill and Braai Seasoning", as McCormick is not available here. Adding ketchup to canned tomatoes is a great idea -- it intensifies the flavour. Taking into account that the contest list of ingredients was quite a challenge to work with, this simple dish was a great success with us. I was careful with the mozzarella topping, as mine was the common supermarket type, not the soft buffalo mozz. I added black pepper, and only left it in the oven to start melting, and then removed it. Thank you for a lovely home-style dish full of flavour and goodness! And good luck!
- 59.14 ml canola oil
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml seasoning salt (I use McCormick with garlic)
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks (or use 4 drumsticks and 4 thighs)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 59.16 ml green bell peppers, chopped
- 59.16 ml carrots, chopped
- 59.14 ml ketchup
- 411.06 g can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2.46 ml dried oregano, crushed
- 2.46 ml salt
- 946.36 ml cabbage, shredded
- 118.29 ml mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix flour and seasoned salt in a zip lock plastic bag.
- Add chicken drumsticks, two at a time into the bag. Lock and shake bag to coat chicken well.
- Add coated chicken to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally until browned.
- Place chicken in a medium baking dish prepared with oil spray and heat oven to 350ºF.
- Add chopped onion, green bell pepper and carrot to skillet. Cook until cripsy tender for about 5 minutes.
- Mix ketchup with undrained tomatoes, oregano, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Add cabbage with vegetables and tomato sauce and mix well. Spoon over chicken.
- Cover dish with foil. Bake until chicken is cooked through for about 45 minutes and the cabbage is tender but not overcooked.
- Remove foil; sprinkle mozzarella over chicken. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 more minutes.
- NOTE: I made this recipe again, adding 4 tablespoons of chopped green peppers and carrots (instead of 2 tablespoons). Reduced the salt to 1/2 teaspoon and Mozzarella cheese to 1/2 cup. Thanks to the reviewers for their good suggestions.