Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Quick From Scratch Chicken - Food & Wine. WINE: Pair this Mediterranean-inspired dish with a full-flavored red from France. Try one from the southern Rhône Valley such as a Châteauneuf-du-Pape or a Côtes-du-Rhône. Easier to find - round, supple, fruity syrah and blends
- 3⁄4 lb Brussels sprout, cut in half from top to stem
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 cups drained and rinsed white beans, preferably cannellini (from two 19-ounce cans)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat leaf parsley
- Heat the oven to 450°. In a medium bowl, toss the Brussels sprouts with 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 of teaspoon pepper. Set aside.
- Put the chicken pieces in a large roasting pan and toss with 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Arrange the chicken pieces about 1 inch apart, skin-side up, and roast for 25 minutes.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and continue cooking until the chicken and sprouts are done, about 12 minutes longer. Transfer them to plate and leave to rest in a warm spot for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, the garlic, and the rosemary over low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Raise the heat to moderate and add the beans, 1/4 cup of the water, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook, mashing the beans to a coarse puree, until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
- Pour off the fat from the roasting pan. Set the pan over moderate heat and add the remaining 1/4 cup water.
- Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to dislodge any brown bits. Boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 4 minutes.
- Add any accumulated juices from the chicken and a pinch each of salt and pepper.
- Spoon the white-bean puree onto plates and top with the chicken, the Brussels sprouts, and then the pan juices.